In an attempt to find something yummy to do with two containers of blackberries, I stumbled across this super-cute blog called Sugar Plum Blog. Have your Pin It button ready. You are going to be adding some treats to your Pinterest dessert boards from her site.
The recipe I found was for White Chocolate Almond Blueberry Blondies. I didn't have any white chocolate or almonds (or else they, of course, would have been tossed in too), and I had blackberries, not blue. But why not give it a go, right?
So here is my adaptation (poor adaptation, since white chocolate and almonds always makes things better). I give you Blackberry Blondies...
Blackberry Blondies2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
10 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 lg. egg
1 1/4 cup blackberries, halved or quartered (your preference)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
4. In your mixer (or large bowl), cream together the butter and sugar.
5. Add in the lemon zest, juice, and egg. Mix until blended.
6. Slowly mix in your dry ingredients until just combined.
7. Remove from mixer and fold in blackberries by hand. (It was a very thick and crumbly dough, more than a batter, so be gentle when mixing in the berries so not to crush them.)
8. Spread mixture into lined pan. Press it out to get it evenly distributed. (It will look doubtful at this stage...trust me, they puff up and fill in beautifully in the oven.)
9. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
10. Let cool completely before lifting the foil out of the pan, and cutting the blondies into squares.
As for my honest opinion of these...I like dessert with chocolate in them. They are very good. They are not too sweet (which I didn't even believe was a thing until a couple of years ago), and the fruit creates delicious little juicy pockets of flavor. But would I take these over a brownie? Probably not. The family loves them though, so winner!